Hello from South Africa!

Sean_GodoySean_Godoy Member
Hi all,

I posted this in the African communities forum but though I would also share it here...

My name is Sean Godoy and I am cofounder of SA Proptech (www.saproptech.co.za) and owner of Divercity Property Solutions, a consultancy providing multi-faceted training and advisory solutions to the property industry in SA and wider sub-Saharan Africa.

I see there were no posts in the Africa community forum, so I wanted to rectify this. Africa is made of of many diverse regions and cities, alive with a myriad of opportunities and challenges. The people, diversity and challenges of the continent are what drives my passion for it. I could write a whole post on the regions of the continent, but I will save that for another time. What is important to note is that the continent cannot be understood by one news story, individual or company, just like any other continent. Information and data may be lacking at times, but I hope I can do my best to answer any general questions you have, or put you in touch with the right person to provide an answer.

The reason I am here is that I am passionate about proptech, South Africa and Africa. More often than not it is important to provide some intro to the continent itself though, when discussing anything related to it. Moving onto proptech, our association aims to connect the proptech community in SA, raise awareness within the property industry as a whole and also raise awareness globally. The proptech sector is robust and innovative, as I found through some research I did for the Urban Real Estate Research Unit at the university of Cape Town earlier this year. You can access the report and SA's first proptech map at the link below.

We are also making good progress in developing contacts in various other countries in sub-Saharan Africa, and hope to be able to provide exciting insight into proptech activity in these markets soon. For now, I welcome any questions or suggestions for discussion topics.

http://www.ureru.uct.ac.za/sites/default/files/image_tool/images/383/URERU SA Proptech Report_1.pdf

All the best,
Sean

Comments

• Ruth_MaguireRuth_Maguire Administrator admin
    Great to see you using the forum Sean. It would be great to have you sharing more articles on what's happening in South Africa and Africa soon.
  • Sean_GodoySean_Godoy Member
    @Ruth_Maguire very keen to address any queries or suggestions from Unissu or the community. There is much exciting activity happening down here!
  • Eddie_HolmesEddie_Holmes Administrator admin

@Sean_Godoy thanks for posting. I think it's hard to know what questions to ask you due to a lack of publicity on what is happening in market. What sectors or verticals are you seeing take the lead or fall behind, for example?

• Hey @Sean_Godoy,

Thanks for taking the initiative to provide some further context for the opportunities in Africa, and more particularly Sub-Saharan Africa. I would love to connect and discuss the projects that you are working on within South Africa.

I'm a member of a PropTech startup in South Africa — airManaged. Our company currently manages over 350+ properties across South Africa earn up to 60% more on their short term rental revenue that has consistently beaten the long-term rental yields. The overwhelming nuance of running successful short term rentals became clear. We wanted to scratch our own itch by creating a technology-driven solution that delivers hospitality, at scale.

We work closely with Airbnb and Airdna to monitor the different growth sectors in Africa. With Lagos, Nigeria being the fastest-growing Airbnb City in the world. We also have building management and agent management platforms that are in the pipeline to create a more streamlined approach to maximizing property returns for investors. I would really like to hear your thoughts on where you are seeing exciting growth sectors in Africa, and the impact that data-driven technology can have.

Warm regards,

Marc Gregory Knowles
  • Eddie_HolmesEddie_Holmes Administrator admin
    @James_Dearsley1 did you know this about Lagos? GOod insight for your trip